Sunday, March 20, 2011

Curlicue Bows-aka Korker Bows

 
Having two girls with a lot of hair I'm in need of a lot of options to keep the mass out of their eyes.  I love having girls with such beautiful hair-but I hate when it covers their faces.  Can we say pet-peeve?  The thing is that cute bows are so expensive!  Especially when I'm buying multiples of the really cute ones so that I can have the girls match.  Because honestly as they get older I doubt they'll let me match them, so I need to do it now while I can ;)
 
So one day while surfing I stumbled upon http://www.theribbonretreat.com/.  I read the tutorial on how to make Korker bows and decided I'm brave enough to give it a shot.  I figured if I gave it a try and it works, then I might have a solution to my problem.  And what can I say-I'm a sucker for any chance to combine my love of crafting and my love of saving money!  What follows is my attemp and might I say that it turned out pretty good!
 
The supplies I used:
 
 
 
Ribbon (duh)
Alligator clips
Dowels
Wooden clothes pins-to secure the ribbon to the dowels
Round Elastic Cord
Scissors
Fray Check-to seal the ends of the ribbon after they are cut down to size
Hot Glue Gun
Cookie Sheet-to bake the ribbon-yes I said bake the ribbon!
 
 
 
After I wrapped the ribbon on the dowels, I put them on the cookie sheet and baked them for 25 mins at 275 degrees.  Once they cooled I cut them down to about 2 1/2 inch sections-don't forget to fray check!  I used three dowels to make one ribbon...so the above picture was two bows worth of ribbon.
 
Next lay the ribbon on a small piece of round elastic cord and tie it together.  I made double knots.  Next glue the bottom side of the bow (knot side down) to the alligaor clip.  I'm still learning how to do this step without being too messy.  Definitely glue the bow with the clip open-so that you can actually use the bow you've worked so hard to make ;)
 
Without further adieu-the final result!
 
 

Munchkin is wearing her bow on St. Patricks day.  I know you can't see it very well...its sort of peek-a-booing there, but I couldn't resist sharing a moment of sisterly love!  They are sharing some crackers after a long day of playing and I just had to take a picture.  I'll try to get a better picture next time =)
 

3 comments:

  1. dear erin - you have the cutest little girls! - and i just love the tutorial on the bows! you're amazing!! ~ love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, and the girls look cute as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The girls are pretty cute ;)

    ReplyDelete